• Construction is nearly complete on our new 12 bed Special Care Center.  We are now taking reservations for rooms.  Contact Bob Baldwin at 620-241-0919, ext. 120 for more information.

History

 

1893 – What is today the oldest continuously operating a retirement home in Kansas began on a farm 8 miles southwest of the south edge of Hutchinson, Kansas. Housed in a large white frame building, it was known as the Old Folks Infirm and Orphans Home Association of the German Baptist Brethren and was located near Booth, Kansas, later known as Darlow.


1920 - A new brick building was added to the modest farmstead campus.

1930 – The orphanage feature of the home was discontinued when it became apparent that serving the two widely divergent age groups was unworkable in the available facilities.

1952 – Aging facilities compromised by a 1948 tornado forced the closure of the Darlow home. A search for alternate locations led to the purchase of the Dr. J.W. Fields home and an adjacent three-acre space on Kansas Avenue near Lakeside Park in McPherson. Construction of three single story resident wings followed.

1961 –Inspired by an abundance of cedar trees on the Fields property, the name “The Cedars” was adopted.

1963 – The first of two independent living duplexes was constructed. In

1965 McDonigal Health Center and Hornbaker Chapel were added to the site.

1975 – A four-story, 23 unit apartment building called “The Towers” was built to extend the Independent Living options of The Cedars.

1981 – The Cedars purchased a 56-acre parcel for an eventual new campus at the corner of Maxwell and First Streets.

1986 – The first independent living units (4-plexes) were constructed along First Street. In the 30 years that followed, a total of 113 Independent Living homes have been built, most are duplexes.

1987 – Construction of the Administrative and Health Care Center was completed.

1992 – The Cedars entered into an affiliation agreement with the Free Methodist Church to broaden its historic affiliation with its founder, the Church of the Brethren.

2002 – Construction of “The Courts” was completed. This is a multi-story apartment complex licensed for Assisted Living care.

2006 – Construction of “Cedar Ridge” houses at 801 to 807 Maxwell designed with a new family home like the concept in skilled care. 

 

2007 – Construction completed of the “Wellness Center” providing exercise facilities and pool as well as conference facilities and enhanced food service capacity for use by the internal community as well as by groups from the wider McPherson area.

2016 – Our next horizon . . . an opportunity for you to become a partner in the nearly 125 year legacy of The Cedars’ service to its increasingly wide and diverse constituencies.