The oldest continuing care retirement community in Kansas, The Cedars was founded as a home for the elderly and orphans in 1893 by the German Baptist Brethren.
The first facility was located in Booth (now known as Darlow), 13 miles southwest of Hutchinson, and was built at a cost of $7,400. It was known as the Old Folks Infirm and Orphans Home Association of the German Baptist Brethren.
The orphanage was discontinued in 1930 when it became apparent that serving both children and the elderly were incompatible missions. A devastating tornado and outmoded facilities finally forced the home to close in 1952.
A search began, and the home relocated to McPherson, a community centrally located for the Brethren. A new facility later was found when a retiring dentist offered to sell his home on a three-acre plot on Kansas Avenue close to a city park. Due to the abundance of cedar trees on the property, the facility became known as The Cedars in 1961.
Duplexes and a multi-storied building, known as The Towers, were built on the property. Anticipating future growth, the Board of Directors purchased 57 acres at Maxwell and First Streets. At the new site, duplexes, an assisted living complex with apartments and a HealthCare Center were built in the following years.
Today, all of our facilities and services are located on the First Street campus. And the growth continues. In 2006, four Cedars Houses - stand-alone homes for 12-14 residents each - were opened as a brand-new concept in skilled care. And just a year later, The Cedars raised $2.4 million for the construction of a Wellness and Conference Center serving not only our residents, but the public as well.